Black Velvet Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Let eggs and 1/2 cup butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat the 1/2 cup softened butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time; beat on medium speed after each addition. Beat in food coloring on low speed.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
- Spread batter in prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup softened butter, orange peel, and orange juice with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
- Place one cake layer flat side up on a serving plate. Spread top with 3/4 cup frosting. Stack second layer, flat side down; spread remaining frosting on top and sides.
Nutrition Facts (Black Velvet Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 614 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 98 mg chol.,
- 481 mg sodium,
- 98 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 81 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet