- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 2 hrs
- Bake: 35 mins 350°F
Best Loved Carrot Cake
eggs, lightly beaten
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
teaspoon baking soda
cups finely shredded carrot* (lightly packed)
cup cooking oil
recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe center)
cup finely chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease two 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans ; line pans with waxed paper and grease the paper. Set pans aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon (if desired), salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In another bowl combine eggs, carrot, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans; cool thoroughly.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. If desired, sprinkle chopped pecans over frosting. Cover and store cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except omit the cinnamon; add 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger with the eggs, carrot, and oil.
*Note The carrots need to be finely shredded or they may sink to the bottom of pan during baking.
Nutrition Facts (Best Loved Carrot Cake )
- Per serving:
- 711 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 112 mg chol.,
- 350 mg sodium,
- 108 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 90 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet