0 did it
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 425°F
- Stand: 30 mins
- In a medium bowl combine strawberries, marmalade, and crystallized ginger. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (or lightly grease a baking sheet); set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 10 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the 3/4 cup of the cream, stirring with a fork just until moistened. (If necessary, stir in additional cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, to moisten.)
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead for four to six strokes or just until a ball forms. Pat or lightly roll dough until about 1/2 inch thick. Using a floured 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut dough into eight circles, dipping cutter into flour between cuts to prevent sticking. Place dough circles on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Brush with any remaining melted butter. Cool shortcakes on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl combine the 1 cup cream, sugar, and orange peel. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- To serve, split shortcakes in two. Spoon strawberry mixture over bottoms of shortcakes. Top with whipped cream; replace tops of shortcakes.