Apricot-Nut Spice Cake with Coconut Butter Frosting
This aromatic spice cake, filled with dried fruit and walnuts and showered with coconut frosting, is a popular recipe for birthdays and holidays.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 30 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 350°F
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour two 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or two 8x8x2-inch square baking pans; set pans aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and shortening; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Fold in chopped walnuts, apricots, and the 1/2 cup flaked coconut. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- To assemble, place a cake layer on a pedestal cake plate. Spread 1 cup of Coconut Butter Frosting on top. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. If desired, gently press coconut strips on top of the cake. If desired, garnish with sliced star fruit, kumquats, fresh bay leaves, and/or candied walnuts or pecans. Makes 12 servings.
To make 1-1/4 cups sour milk, place 4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1-1/4 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
- In a very large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 1 minute or until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add the 2 cups powdered sugar and the salt, beating well. Slowly beat in the 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk. Gradually beat in the 5 cups powdered sugar. Beat in enough additional unsweetened coconut milk to reach spreading consistency.
- Per serving:
- 733 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 74 mg chol.,
- 282 mg sodium,
- 118 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet