Apricot Cakes for Two
Pick your flavor for this dessert. For an adult version, try apricot brandy or raspberry liqueur in the cake batter.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: 6 cakes (2 servings per cake)
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cool: 1 hr 50 mins with crumb coat)
- Bake: 15 mins 350°F
Apricot Cakes for Two
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, water, brandy or nectar, and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Spread batter in the prepared pan. Bake about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove pan to wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely. Transfer cake to large cutting board.
- Using a 2- to 2 1/2-inch round cutter, cut cake into 12 rounds. (Cut remaining cake scraps into cubes and serve with fruit, ice cream, or yogurt.) For each cake, spread 1 tablespoon of the frosting on top of one cake round. Top with a second cake round. Spread a thin coating of frosting* on the sides of the cake to seal in any crumbs. Let cakes stand, uncovered, 1 hour or until crumb coat is set.
- To frost cake, carefully pick up each cake and add a thicker coating of frosting around the sides. Place cake on serving plate and frost top. Top each cake with edible flower petals or whole edible flowers, if desired. Makes 6 cakes (2 servings per cake).
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
For the thin coating of frosting, transfer 3/4 cup of the prepared frosting to a small bowl. Stir in enough apricot nectar or raspberry juice blend (about 1 tablespoon) to make frosting of glazing consistency.
Apricot Butter Frosting
- In a very large mixing bowl beat butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in apricot nectar or raspberry juice blend. Gradually beat in remaining sifted powdered sugar. Beat in enough additional apricot nectar to reach spreading consistency. Tint frosting a pale peach or pink color.
Nutrition Facts (Apricot Cakes for Two)
- Per serving:
- 530 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 56 mg chol.,
- 220 mg sodium,
- 97 g carb.,
- 83 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet