dried whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles
tablespoons olive oil
cups finely chopped carrots (3 medium)
cups finely chopped zucchini (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
cups sliced fresh button mushrooms (8 ounces)
6 ounce packages fresh baby spinach
tablespoons snipped fresh basil
15 ounce container ricotta cheese
teaspoon black pepper
26 ounce jar tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (2-1/2 cups)
cups shredded Italian Fontina or mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
Rosemary sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large saucepan cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, zucchini, and half of the garlic. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. Add the remaining oil to the same skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and remaining garlic. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Gradually add spinach. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon; stir in 2 tablespoons basil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble pie, in the bottom of a 9x3-inch springform pan, spread 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce. Arrange 3 to 4 of the cooked noodles over the sauce, trimming and overlapping as necessary to cover sauce with one layer. Top with half of the spinach-mushroom mixture. Spoon half of the ricotta cheese mixture over spinach mixture. Top with another layer of noodles. Spread with half of the remaining pasta sauce. Top with all of the zucchini-carrot mixture. Sprinkle with half of the Fontina cheese. Top with another layer of noodles. Layer with remaining spinach-mushroom mixture and remaining ricotta cheese mixture. Top with another layer of noodles and remaining sauce (you may have extra noodles). Gently press down pie with the back of a spatula.
- Place springform pan on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake about 60 minutes or until heated through, topping with remaining Fontina cheese for the last 15 minutes of baking. Cover and let stand on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Carefully remove side of pan. To serve, cut lasagna into wedges. If desired, garnish with rosemary sprigs.
Nutrition Facts(Lasagna Pie)
- Per serving:
- 463 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 82 mg chol.,
- 965 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet