Lamb with Eggplant Relish
cup extra virgin olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
large eggplant, cut in 3/4-inch cubes (about 1-1/4 lb.; 6 cups)
14 ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree
lamb loin chops, about 1 inch thick (about 1-1/2 lbs.)
slices baguette, toasted
Fresh thyme sprigs
- In a very large skillet heat 1/3 cup oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and 4 cloves garlic; cook 1 minute. Add eggplant, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook and stir 8 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Add undrained tomatoes, crushing with a spoon. Cook 4 minutes or until most liquid is gone, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, finely shred enough orange peel to make 2 teaspoons; set aside. Peel and section two oranges over a bowl to catch juices. If necessary, squeeze juice from remaining orange to make 3 tablespoons. Stir orange sections, orange peel, orange juice, and sugar into eggplant mixture.
- In a small bowl stir together remaining oil and garlic. Brush lamb with oil mixture; season with salt and pepper. For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chops on grill rack over heat. Grill 12 to 14 minutes for medium-rare (145F), turning chops once halfway through grilling.
- Drizzle relish with additional olive oil. Divide relish among 8 plates. Add a lamb chop, baguette slice, and thyme sprig to each. Makes 8 appetizer or 4 entree servings.
Nutrition Facts(Lamb with Eggplant Relish)
- Per serving:
- 626 kcal cal.,
- 41 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 28 g monounsatured fat),
- 90 mg chol.,
- 735 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet