- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
- Stand: 1 hr
French Country Soup
ounces dry navy, Great Northern, or cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
pound beef or lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
large onion, cut into wedges
cup dry white wine
cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
Toasted French bread slices (optional)
- Rinse and drain beans. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, combine beans and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans in colander; rinse beans. In a 3-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, meat, broth, carrots, celery, onion, wine, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving. If desired, serve with toasted French bread slices. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (French Country Soup)
- Per serving:
- 288 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 45 mg chol.,
- 652 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 11 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet