Lamb Shanks with Barley
tablespoon vegetable oil
pounds meaty lamb shanks or meaty beef shank crosscuts
carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices (2 cups)
stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices (1-1/2 cups)
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
14 ounce can chicken broth
cup regular barley
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
teaspoon ground black pepper
tablespoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
Snipped fresh rosemary (optional)
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Cook meat in hot oil until brown on all sides; drain fat.
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine carrots, celery, tomatoes, broth, barley, onion, the water, and pepper. Add meat to cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours (do not use high-heat setting) or until lamb pulls easily from bones and barley is tender.
- Remove meat from slow cooker; transfer to a serving platter. Skim off fat from vegetable-barley mixture. If desired, stir in vinegar. Serve with lamb. Id desired, top each serving with fresh snipped rosemary.
Nutrition Facts(Lamb Shanks with Barley)
- Per serving:
- 370 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 99 mg chol.,
- 529 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet