Jerk Chicken with Avocado-Orange Salsa
cup long grain white or brown rice
teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
cup snipped fresh cilantro
Ground black pepper
teaspoons packed brown sugar
teaspoons ground coffee
teaspoons garlic powder
teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
teaspoons ground allspice
teaspoon cayenne pepper
skinless, boneless chicken thighs
avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
cup canned mandarin oranges, drained
tablespoons lime juice
teaspoon olive oil
- Cook rice according to package directions, adding cumin seeds to cooking liquid. When rice is cooked, fluff with a fork; stir in beans and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and black pepper; keep warm.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, ground coffee, garlic powder, thyme, allspice, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Lay chicken flat; rub with spice mixture. Season with additional salt.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place chicken on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling.
- For salsa, in a small bowl combine avocado, oranges, onion, lime juice, and oil. Season to taste with additional salt and black pepper.
- Serve chicken over rice mixture; top with salsa.
Nutrition Facts(Jerk Chicken with Avocado-Orange Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 409 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 115 mg chol.,
- 616 mg sodium,
- 45 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet