Jelly Doughnut Cake
- In a medium bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, granulated sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F). Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour (dough will be very soft and sticky). Cover surface of dough with plastic wrap; chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Generously butter a 9x2-inch deep heart-shaped or round cake pan. Using a buttered spatula, transfer dough to prepared pan and smooth to an even layer. Cover; let rise1 hour or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan; turn top-side up. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Using a long serrated knife, split cake in half horizontally; remove top. Place bottom layer, cut-side up, on a serving plate. Spread with jelly. Spoon Cream Filling over jelly; spread to edges. Place top layer of cake on filling, cut-side down. Dust cake with powdered sugar; decorate with jelly.
From the Test Kitchen
Get The Pan!
We used Wilton's Deep Heart Pan ($8.99, wilton.com)
- In a small saucepan whisk together the milk and flour until no lumps remain. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more (mixture will be thick). Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a small bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and salt and beat for 1 to 2 minutes or until well-combined. Add the cooled milk mixture and beat until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Jelly Doughnut Cake)
- Per serving:
- 213 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 32 mg chol.,
- 210 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 21 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet