6 ounce jar quartered marinated artichoke hearts
cup chopped roasted red sweet pepper
tablespoons chopped pitted ripe olives
12-inch garlic Italian flatbread (focaccia)
ounces thinly sliced capicola
ounces thinly sliced salami
ounces thinly sliced mortadella
ounces thinly sliced provolone or Swiss cheese
- Drain artichoke hearts; pat dry with paper towels. Coarsely chop artichokes; pat dry again. In a small bowl combine artichokes, roasted pepper, and olives; set aside.
- Cut foccacia in half horizontally. Layer the bottom with capicola, salami, and mortadella. Spoon artichoke mixture over meat; top with cheese. Replace top of focaccia. Tightly wrap sandwich in foil and chill overnight.
- Tote foil-wrapped sandwich in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill. For a charcoal grill, heat foil-wrapped sandwich on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, turning every 5 minutes during grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place foil-wrapped sandwich on grill rack over heat. Cover and heat as above.) Cut sandwich into eight wedges.
The day before:
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Nutrition Facts(Italian Foccacia-wich)
- Per serving:
- 285 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 38 mg chol.,
- 927 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet