Insalata di Mare
- Thaw shrimp and squid, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired. Rinse shrimp and squid; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside. Clean mussels and/or clams.*
- In a large pot bring clam juice to boiling. Add mussels and/or clams. Cover and and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or just until shells open up, shaking pot once or twice. Remove from heat. Working quickly, use a large slotted spoon to transfer mussels and/or clams to a large bowl. When cool enough to handle, remove mussels and/or clams from shells. Discard shells. Pour any accumulated liquid back into pot.
- Bring liquid in pot just to boiling. Add shrimp; cook about 2 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to bowl with mussels and/or clams.
- Return liquid just to boiling. Add squid; cook for 1 to 1 -1/2 minutes or just until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer squid to bowl with the other seafood. Stir fennel and onion into bowl with seafood.
- In small bowl whisk together oil, 4 tablespoons of the lemon juice, the parsley, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Stir lemon juice mixture into seafood mixture. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Before serving, add enough of the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice to taste.
From the Test Kitchen
To clean live mussels, scrub under cold running water. Remove beards. For 24 mussels, in an 8-quart Dutch oven combine 4 quarts cold water and 1/3 cup salt; add mussels. Soak 15 minutes; drain and rinse. Discard water. Repeat soaking, draining, and rinsing twice. To clean live clams, scrub under cold running water. For 24 clams, in an 8-quart Dutch oven combine 4 quarts cold water and 1/3 cup salt; add clams. Soak 15 minutes; drain and rinse. Discard water. Repeat soaking, draining, and rinsing twice.
Nutrition Facts (Insalata di Mare)
- Per serving:
- 484 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 356 mg chol.,
- 1979 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 64 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet