- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 15 - 16 ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped roma tomatoes (1 pound tomatoes)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (2 medium)
- 1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 pita bread rounds* or Homemade Pita, cut into wedges
1. In a large bowl combine garbanzo beans, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, and red onion. In a screw-top jar combine lemon peel, lemon juice, oil, cumin, curry powder, salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour over salad mixture; toss to combine.
2. Serve with yogurt and pita wedges.
- If desired, before cutting into wedges, grill pita bread rounds on an indoor or outdoor grill over medium heat until warm and toasted. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into wedges.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a small bowl combine yeast, 1/2 cup of the warm water, and the honey. Let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy.
2. In a large bowl combine 3-1/2 cups of the flour and the salt; make a small depression in the middle of the mixture. Stir the remaining 1 cup warm water and the oil into the yeast mixture. Slowly pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until dough forms.
3. Place dough in a well-oiled bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until double in size (1-1/2 to 2 hours).
4. On a floured surface, knead dough for 10 minutes, adding enough flour to keep dough from sticking. Divide dough into 10 pieces; roll each into a ball. Cover loosely; let stand for 10 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Position racks at bottom of oven. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough balls to 6-inch circles. Transfer circles to ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 4 minutes; turn over and bake for 2 minutes more. (they will puff.) Transfer to wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Prepare Homemade Pitas as directed, except decrease all-purpose flour to 2 cups and add 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds or flaxseed meal. Knead in enough additional all-purpose flour to keep dough from sticking.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 295,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 2,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 49,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 5,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 8,
- sugar (g) 10,
- pro. (g) 14,
- vit. A (IU) 4033,
- vit. C (mg) 21,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 2,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 60,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 905,
- Potassium (mg) 502,
- calcium (mg) 151,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet