Iced Walnut Shortbread Rounds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, ground walnuts, the 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-inch scalloped round cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts on a large ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or just until edges start to brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- For icing, in a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until combined. Beat in enough milk for icing to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over cookies. If desired, sprinkle cookies with coarse sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Iced Walnut Shortbread Rounds)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 105 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet