Granitas are intensely fruit-flavored ices. Served alone, they're zippy, light, and refreshing. Topped with lemon cream, they make a fabulous easy-to-prepare dessert with less than five ingredients.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: cup
- Prep: 20 mins
- Freeze: 6 hrs
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; set syrup aside to cool while preparing fruit.
- Place strawberries in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth; if necessary add about 1/3 cup of the syrup to help puree the berries. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Stir strawberry puree and lemon juice into the syrup.
- Pour mixture into a 2-quart square baking dish. Cover and freeze mixture about 6 hours or until mixture is completely frozen, stirring after 2 hours and then after every hour.
- Just before serving, break up mixture with a fork until fluffy. Spoon mixture into dessert dishes. If desired, serve with Lemon Cream. Makes about 5-1/2 cups.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except use 1-1/2 cups strawberries, 1-1/2 cups raspberries, and 1 cup blueberries instead of just strawberries.
- In a medium chilled mixing bowl, beat whipping cream, sugar, and lemon peel with an electric mixer on medium speed or with a whisk until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry Granita)
- Per serving:
- 86 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 1 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet