- Makes: 5 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Yields: 2-1/2 cups
- Start to Finish: 15 mins to 20 mins
Rock-n-Roll Ice Cream
large (2 lb. 7 oz.) coffee can with lid
1 pound coffee can with lid
pint half-and-half or light cream
Crushed ice (6 to 7 cups)
Rock salt (about 1/4 cup)
- In the smaller coffee can, combine half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla; stir well. Put the lid on tightly. Place a thin layer of crushed ice on the bottom of the larger coffee can; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon rock salt. Place the small can inside the large can.
- Pack the area between the cans with crushed ice and rock salt using about 2 tablespoons rock salt for every cup of crushed ice. Put lid tightly on the large can.
- Roll can back and forth for about 10 to 15 minutes (protect countertop or floor with a towel, or roll on a cement floor). Lift out smaller can and carefully remove lid.
- Scrape down sides and stir all the ice cream together. (If the ice cream is too soft, repack large can with fresh ice and rock salt; replace lid. Roll back and forth a few minutes more or until firm.) Makes about five 1/2-cup servings.