- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Grill: 8 mins
- Stand: 1 hr
Grilled Pineapple Skewers with Ice Cream
3-inch cinnamon stick
tablespoons orange juice
medium fresh pineapple, cut into 3/4-inch slices and quartered
star fruit (carambola), cut into 1/2-inch slices
large firm, ripe papaya or mango, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
kiwifruit, cut into 1/2-inch slices
purchased dulce de leche ice cream or vanilla bean ice cream or 1 recipe Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
- In a small saucepan heat honey and cinnamon stick over low heat. When hot (but not boiling), remove from heat. Stir in orange juice and rum. Place fruit in a single layer in a shallow dish. Pour honey mixture over all of the fruit. Cover; let stand for 1 hour. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Drain fruit, reserving honey mixture. Using twelve 6-inch wooden or metal skewers,* arrange fruit on skewers. Brush fruit with honey mixture. For a charcoal grill, grill skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and heated through, turning once and brushing occasionally with some of the reserved honey mixture. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Remove from grill.
- Brush skewers with any remaining honey mixture.
- To serve, top ice cream with fruit skewers.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before threading the fruit on the skewers (this prevents the skewers from burning during cooking).
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Pineapple Skewers with Ice Cream)
- 461 kcal cal.;
- 26 g Fat, total;
- 71 mg chol.;
- 18 g sat. fat;
- 52 g carb.;
- 2 g fiber;
- 6 g pro.;
- 1118 IU vit. A;
- 57 mg vit. C;
- 1 mg iron;
- 202 mg calcium;
- 85 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet