Name your pleasure! This six-in-one recipe for Italian ice cream gives you all kinds of flavoring options. One flavor will do--but serving a combo will really wow guests.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Yields: about 1-1/4 quarts
- Prep: 20 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs
- Cool: 30 mins
- In a large saucepan, stir together sugar and cinnamon. Stir in milk, cream, and egg yolks. Heat and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly (about 180 degree F). This should take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Place saucepan in a very large bowl of ice water. Let stand until cool, stirring occasionally.
- Cover surface of custard mixture with plastic wrap. Chill for 4 to 24 hours or until mixture is completely chilled.
- Freeze custard mixture in a 4- to 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Ripen according to manufacturer's directions, if desired. Makes about 1-1/4 quarts.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Cinnamon Gelato as directed, except omit the cinnamon. Place one 16-ounce package thawed frozen blackberries in a food processor; process until smooth. Pour puree through a fine-mesh sieve; discard seeds. Stir blackberry puree into custard mixture just before freezing. Makes 8 cups or 16 (1/2-cup) servings.
Prepare Cinnamon Gelato as directed, except omit the cinnamon and stir 1 cup coarsely crushed amaretto cookies (about 10 small cookies) and 2 tablespoons amaretto into custard mixture just before freezing. Makes 5 cups or 10 (1/2-cup) servings.
Prepare Cinnamon Gelato as directed, except omit the cinnamon and add 6 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate to milk mixture before heating. Stir 2/3 cup chopped pistachio nuts into custard mixture just before freezing. Makes 7-1/2 cups or 15 (1/2-cup) servings.
Prepare Cinnamon Gelato as directed, except omit the cinnamon and stir 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder into custard mixture with the vanilla; stir until espresso powder is dissolved. Makes 5 cups or 10 (1/2-cup) servings.
Prepare Cinnamon Gelato as directed, except omit the cinnamon and substitute 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk for 1 cup of the whole milk. Stir 1 cup toasted coconut into custard mixture just before freezing. Makes about 7 cups or 14 (1/2-cup) servings.
Nutrition Facts (So-Good Gelato)
- Per serving:
- 235 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 163 mg chol.,
- 46 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 23 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet