Chocolate Peppermint Cream Puffs
teaspoon peppermint extract or flavoring
cups peppermint stick ice cream
ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet; set aside. In a medium saucepan combine water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition. Beat in peppermint extract.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for 25 minutes (keep remaining dough covered while the first batch bakes). Cool.
- Cut tops from puffs; remove soft dough from inside. Fill each with ice cream. Replace tops. Place in the freezer to firm, about 15 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt bittersweet chocolate and 1/2 teaspoon of the shortening over low heat. Cool slightly. Place melted chocolate in a small self-sealing plastic bag. Snip off a tiny corner. Drizzle chocolate over puffs. Return puffs to freezer and freeze for 5 minutes or until chocolate sets. In another small saucepan melt white chocolate and remaining shortening over low heat; cool slightly. Place in a small self-sealing plastic bag. Snip off a tiny corner. Drizzle over the puffs. Return puffs to freezer and freeze until serving time. Makes 48 mini desserts.
From the Test Kitchen
Once chocolate sets, transfer to freezer container. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate Peppermint Cream Puffs)
- Per serving:
- 65 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 27 mg chol.,
- 42 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet