Butter Pecan Ice Cream
cup coarsely chopped pecans
cups half-and-half or light cream
cups packed brown sugar
cups whipping cream
- In a heavy 8-inch skillet combine pecans, sugar, and butter. On the range top heat mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar melts and turns a rich brown color.
- Remove from heat and spread nuts on a buttered baking sheet or foil; separate into clusters and cool. Break clusters into small chunks.
- In a large mixing bowl combine half-and-half, brown sugar, and vanilla; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the whipping cream. Freeze cream mixture in a 4- to 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the manufacturers directions, using crushed ice and rock salt. Stir in pecan mixture.* Ripen 4 hours. Makes 16 servings (2 quarts).
From the Test Kitchen
Stirring the pecan mixture into the thickened ice cream mixture just before ripening prevents the nuts from wrapping around the paddle.
Nutrition Facts(Butter Pecan Ice Cream)
- Per serving:
- 482 kcal cal.,
- 35 g fat
- 108 mg chol.,
- 70 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet