cup granulated sugar
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground cloves
cup mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
eggs, lightly beaten
cup vegetable oil
cup shredded, peeled uncooked sweet potato (1 medium)
cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
recipe Marshmallow-Cream Cheese Frosting
cup raw chip coconut or flaked coconut, toasted*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour eighteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups. Set pans aside.
- In a very large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in bananas, eggs, oil, and vanilla just until combined. Fold in sweet potato and 1/2 cup of the pineapple. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans. Cool completely on racks.
- Spread Marshmallow-Cream Cheese Frosting on cupcakes. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Top with the remaining pineapple just before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast coconut, spread chips or flakes in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or just until golden, shaking the pan once or twice. Watch closely to prevent overbrowning.
Marshmallow-Cream Cheese Frosting
3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
cups powdered sugar
cup marshmallow creme
teaspoon coconut flavoring
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, marshmallow creme, and coconut flavoring. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 30 seconds.
Nutrition Facts(Hummingbird Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 306 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 139 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 39 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet