Honey-Soaked Quinoa Salad with Cherries and Cashews
- For honey vinaigrette, in a small bowl whisk together honey, ginger, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Drizzle in oil, whisking constantly, until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the water, quinoa, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork. In a large bowl combine quinoa, cherries, cashews, apricots, and onion; toss to mix. Add lettuce; drizzle with 1/2 cup of the honey vinaigrette. Toss again. Pass the remaining honey vinaigrette. (Store any remaining vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.)
From the Test Kitchen
Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and hold under running water to remove any saponin, the natural coating on the grain, which may taste bitter.
Prepare as directed, except use 1 1/4 cups water and substitute 3/4 cup couscous for the quinoa. In a small saucepan bring the water and salt to boiling. Add couscous; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Add to salad with the fruit.
Israeli Couscous Variation
Prepare as directed, except substitute 2/3 cup Israeli (large pearl) couscous for the quinoa. Cook the Israeli couscous according to package directions. Add to salad with the fruit.
Nutrition Facts (Honey-Soaked Quinoa Salad with Cherries and Cashews)
- Per serving:
- 372 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 230 mg sodium ,
- 52 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.