Honey Roast Chicken with Spring Peas & Shallots
This beautiful glazed chicken is served with a light champagne and honey sauce. Lemon slices added during the last few minutes of roasting balance the sweetness of the honey. This recipe adapts easily to a pan stew, using chicken pieces.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Roast: 1 hr 20 mins to 1 hr 50 mins 375°F
- Cook: 13 mins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse chicken cavity; pat chicken dry with paper towels. Skewer neck skin to back; tie legs to tail. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until drumsticks move easily in sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Brush with half the honey and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the tarragon. Roast about 5 minutes more or until the chicken has a golden brown glaze.
- Remove chicken from pan and tent with foil. Transfer roasting pan to stove top. Add shallots, champagne, broth, remaining honey, and fresh peas (if using). Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until juices thicken slightly and shallots are tender. Add frozen peas (if using) and lemon slices to pan. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through. To serve, return chicken to pan, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon. If desired, drizzle with remaining honey.
Arrange chicken skin-side-up in a shallow baking pan. Brush with butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Brush with half the honey and sprinkle with half the tarragon. Roast about 5 minutes more or until honey forms a golden brown glaze. Continue as directed in Step 3.
- Per serving:
- 811 kcal cal.,
- 44 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 18 g monounsatured fat),
- 209 mg chol.,
- 461 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 38 g sugar,
- 52 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet