Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Honey-Flax Sourdough Bread
- Measure Sourdough Starter; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl combine 2 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir the 1 1/2 cups water, the honey, oil, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F). Add water mixture to yeast mixture; add Sourdough Starter. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. In a medium bowl combine 1/2 cup of the remaining all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, the 1/4 cup flax seed meal, the 2 teaspoons flax seeds, and the baking soda; add to yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until combined. Stir in as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes). Punch down dough. Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Shape each dough portion by gently pulling it into a ball, tucking edges underneath. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheets. Flatten each dough ball slightly to about 6 inches in diameter. Using a sharp knife, make crisscross slashes across tops of loaves. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes). If desired, lightly brush tops of loaves with water and sprinkle with additional flax seeds and flax seed meal.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. (If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.) Remove bread from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks.
- Dissolve 1 package active dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F). Add 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F), and 1 tablespoon honey. Using a wooden spoon, beat until smooth. Cover with 100%-cotton cheesecloth. Let stand at room temperature (75 degrees F to 85 degrees F) for 5 to 10 days or until mixture has a fermented aroma and vigorous bubbling stops, stirring two or three times a day. (Fermentation time depends on room temperature; a warmer room will hasten the fermentation process.) To store, transfer Sourdough Starter to a 1-quart plastic container. Cover and chill. To use, stir starter. Measure amount of cold starter called for in recipe; bring to room temperature. Replenish starter after each use. For each 1 cup starter removed, stir 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup water, and 1 teaspoon honey into remaining starter. Cover with cheesecloth; let stand at room temperature about 1 day or until bubbly. Cover with lid; chill for later use. If starter is not used within 10 days, stir in 1 teaspoon honey. Continue to add 1 teaspoon honey every 10 days unless starter is replenished.
Nutrition Facts (Honey-Flax Sourdough Bread)
- Per serving:
- 140 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 173 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet