Holiday Rib Roast with Grain Mustard Sauce
- Position oven rack just below center. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare Garlic-Herb Rub; set aside. Season roast with salt.
- In a large skillet brown roast on all sides in hot vegetable oil. Place meat, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Spread Garlic-Herb Rub evenly over roast; spoon over butter. Roast, uncovered, 2 to 2 1/4 hours for medium rare (135 degrees F) or 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours for medium (150 degrees F), spooning butter from the pan over meat occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook shallots and garlic in hot oil 5 to 8 minutes or until shallots are golden brown. Remove from heat. Carefully add wine. Return to heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in beef broth. Simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes more or until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board. Cover with foil; let stand 15 minutes before slicing. (Roast will continue to cook as it sits.) Temperature of meat after standing should be 145 degrees F for medium rare and 160 degrees F for medium. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if desired.
- While roast stands, prepare grain mustard sauce. Drain from roasting pan. Add 1/2 cup water and the 1 1/2 cups beef broth mixture. Cook and stir, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Simmer; strain sauce through a fine sieve into a small saucepan, if desired. Simmer 2 minutes. Add mustard and horseradish. Whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon. at a time. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Serve sauce with sliced meat.
From the Test Kitchen
To serve 10 people, first use a sharp knife to remove the bone from the roast. Slice against the grain into 10 slices. For a holiday feast, if you want to server larger portions give each guest a slice with the bone, look for a larger 6-bone rib roast.
- In a food processor combine thyme, peppercorns, and garlic. Cover and pulse until combined. Add olive oil; pulse to a coarse paste.
Nutrition Facts (Holiday Rib Roast with Grain Mustard Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 488 kcal cal.,
- 37 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 15 g monounsatured fat),
- 119 mg chol.,
- 373 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet