Herbed Chicken with Spring Vegetables
- In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup parsley, the 2 Tbsp. tarragon, lemon peel, and salt. Reserve 2 Tbsp. of the herb mixture for the vegetables. Cover and set aside.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Using your fingers, loosen the skin on the chicken breast and legs. Carefully spoon 2 Tbsp. of remaining herb mixture under the skin of the chicken.
- In the center container of the roaster combine lemon juice, the 4 garlic cloves, the 3 sprigs of parsley and the 2 sprigs of tarragon. With the chicken upright and the opening of the body cavity at the bottom, lower the chicken over the center container until the container fits into the cavity. Pull the chicken legs forward so the bird sits upright, and secure with kitchen string. Twist wings tips behind back. Place the lemon wedge into the neck cavity to seal in the steam. Brush the surface of chicken skin with olive oil. Pat remaining herbs onto the surface of chicken; set aside.
- For a charcoal grill*, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. (You should be able to hold your hand, palm side down, at the same height as the food will be grilled for a 4-second count.) Place the roaster in the center of the grill and cover. For a two-burner gas grill*, preheat grill with both burners at medium heat. Turn off one burner and place the roaster on the unlit side, away from the heat source and cover. Cook chicken for 50 minutes. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the 2 cloves minced garlic and 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil; stir to coat. Cover bowl with waxed paper. Microwave on high for 8 minutes, stirring twice. Add asparagus, green onions, and lemon halves. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Toss to evenly coat vegetables.
- Add prepared vegetables to poultry roaster; cover and grill for 20 to 25 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F in thigh muscle). Remove roaster from the grill. Sprinkle the reserved 2 Tbs. of herb mixture over vegetables. Cover pan with foil; let stand 10 minutes. (The temperature of the chicken will rise to 180 degrees F while standing).
- Using tongs and a kitchen fork, lift the chicken off the poultry roaster and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with vegetables. Makes 5 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If You Don't Have the Weber Original Gourmet BBQ Poultry Roaster and Grilling System
Prepare this recipe in a roasting pan: Add lemon wedges or halves, garlic cloves, and parsley to the cavity of the chicken and prepare as above. Place chicken on a rack in the roasting pan; grill on a charcoal or gas grill over indirect heat.
This poultry roaster is made to be used with the Weber Original Gourmet BBQ System. Check package to see if this roaster is compatible with your grill.
Use Time Wisely
Prepare Spring Vegetables during the first 45 minutes of grilling the chicken.
Sprinkling the fresh herbs over the hot grilled vegetables helps to season the vegetables as well as release the delicious aroma of the herbs.
Nutrition Facts (Herbed Chicken with Spring Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 479 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 116 mg chol.,
- 425 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet