- In a large bowl stir together 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour, the yeast, rosemary, and pepper. In a small saucepan heat milk, butter, sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in semolina flour. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir in as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased large bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (45 to 60 minutes). (To serve today, omit Step 4 and continue as directed in Steps 5 through 7.)
- Punch dough down. Place dough in a freezer container; seal. Freeze for up to 3 weeks. Thaw dough overnight in refrigerator before using.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Line a baking sheet with foil; grease foil. Roll one dough portion into a 10x9-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 24 strips.
- For each breadstick, pinch together ends of three strips; braid the dough strips. Pinch the other ends together. Tuck under the thin, pinched ends.** Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough portion. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl beat together egg white and the water. Lightly brush egg white mixture on breadsticks. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Instead of semolina flour, you can use 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal.
For faster shaping, cut rolled dough into 1-inch-wide strips. Hold each strip at both ends. Twist in opposite directions two or three times. Arrange on a greased baking sheet; press ends down. Let rise and bake as directed. Makes 20 breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts (Herbed Breadsticks)
- Per serving:
- 58 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 60 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet