Hearts of Romaine with Creamy Feta Dressing
- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 1 quarter romaine heart plus 1 tablespoon dressing
- Yields: about 3/4 cup dressing
- Start to Finish: 15 mins
- Cut each heart of romaine in half lengthwise. Arrange romaine on a serving platter.
- For dressing, in a food processor or blender combine Basic Vinaigrette, 1/2 cup cheese, the water, oregano, garlic, and salt. Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- Drizzle dressing over romaine; sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Top with 1/4 cup cheese. To serve, cut romaine halves crosswise into quarters.
Out of feta? Use goat cheese (chevre) instead. For a change of texture, use baby greens in place of the romaine. Go Middle Eastern and use a teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander instead of the oregano.
- In a small screw-top jar combine oil, lemon juice, and vinegar. Cover and shake well.
For an Asian spin, use 3 tablespoons peanut oil and 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil for the olive oil, lime juice for the lemon juice, and rice wine vinegar for the white wine vinegar. Want a French Vinaigrette? Add 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard and 1 tablespoon minced shallot. Want a heartier flavor? Use red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar in place of the white wine vinegar.
- Per serving:
- 65 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 6 mg chol.,
- 130 mg sodium,
- 2 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet