Hash Browns O'Brien
- Peel and coarsely shred potatoes. Place potatoes in a large bowl; add enough water to cover potatoes. Stir well. Drain in a colander set over the sink. Repeat rinsing and draining two or three times until water runs clear. Drain again, pressing out as much water as you can with a rubber spatula. Line a salad spinner with paper towels; add potatoes and spin.* Repeat, if necessary, until potatoes are dry. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet** heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and the butter over medium heat until butter foams. Add onion, sweet peppers, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add potatoes and sage to skillet, stirring to combine; spread into an even layer. Gently press with the back of a spatula to form a cake. Cook, without stirring, about 12 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crisp.
- Invert a plate over the top of the skillet. Carefully invert the skillet to transfer the potatoes to the plate. If needed, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Using the plate, slide the potatoes back into the skillet, uncooked side down. Cook for 8 to 12 minutes more or until the bottom is golden brown.
From the Test Kitchen
Hash Browns Carlos O'Brien:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1/4 cup chopped fresh Anaheim or poblano chile pepper*** for the green sweet pepper.
Nutrition per serving: same as above, except 12% Vitamin A, 85% Vitamin C, 122 mg sodium
If desired, instead of using a salad spinner, potatoes can be dried by pressing the water out with a potato ricer or by patting the shredded potatoes dry with paper towels.
A skillet with sloping sides works particularly well.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Hash Browns O'Brien)
- Per serving:
- 123 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 121 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet