Hanging Stocking Sugar Cookies
- In a large bowl beat the butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. Add the egg and sweetened condensed milk and beat until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk for 30 seconds to evenly distribute the leavening. Add the flour mixture and continue mixing until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and fold the dough over itself a few times to make sure the flour is evenly distributed and the dough is smooth. Pat the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 3- to 3 1/2-inch stocking cookie cutter, cut out the cookies and arrange on a prepared cookie sheets, spacing the cookies about 1/2-inch apart. Sprinkle each with pearl sugar around the top of the stocking and red sugar over the remaining stocking, pressing in lightly. Transfer the cookie sheet to the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until the edges of the cookies just start to turn golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- Combine the powdered sugar and dried egg whites in a small bowl. Stir. Add water, one teaspoon at a time, and stir until the mixture becomes a smooth, spreadable paste. Cover the royal icing with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic touches the surface of the royal icing so it doesn't form a skin.
- Place a cookie, top side down, on a clean parchment paper-lined tray. Transfer the royal icing to a resealable plastic bag. Cut a tiny opening from one corner. Pipe a bead of royal icing along the straight back of a candy cane and attach the candy cane to the back of the cookie to act as a "hook." Hold the candy cane in place until it can stand up on its own without tipping. Repeat with remaining cookies and candy canes. Allow to set completely, about 30 to 45 minutes. Hook the cookies onto a glass of milk or mug of hot chocolate to serve.
From the Test Kitchen
Using refrigerated cookie dough:
If desired, knead 1/2 cup all-purpose flour into a 16.5-ounce roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough. Roll out dough, cut into stockings, and decorate and bake as directed. Makes about 20 cookies.
Nutrition Facts (Hanging Stocking Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 166 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 21 mg chol.,
- 85 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet