Grilled Watermelon-Shrimp Salad
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact (if desired). Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Thread shrimp onto four 10- to 12-inch metal or wooden* skewers,** leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. Brush shrimp with 2 tablespoons of the oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the lemon juice, honey, and crushed red pepper. Brush watermelon with some of the lemon juice mixture.
- For a charcoal grill, grill shrimp skewers and watermelon on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until shrimp are opaque and watermelon is warm and grill marks are visible, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 4 to 6 minutes for shrimp and 8 to 10 minutes for watermelon. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place shrimp skewers and watermelon on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- To serve, divide salad greens among four dinner plates. Top with shrimp skewers and watermelon. Whisk the remaining lemon juice mixture until combined; drizzle over salads. Sprinkle with cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for at least 30 minutes before using. If desired, use double skewers for additional stability.
If you prefer, rather than threading the shrimp onto skewers, cook them in a grill wok. Preheat the grill wok on the grill for 5 minutes. Add shrimp to wok; cook and stir for 5 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Watermelon-Shrimp Salad)
- Per serving:
- 473 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 16 g monounsatured fat),
- 183 mg chol.,
- 616 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 25 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet