Grilled Vegetable Pizza
- In a small bowl combine the water, yeast, and, sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. In a medium bowl combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon olive oil until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 6 to 8 minutes to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. Cover; let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. If desired, cover and store in refrigerator for 1 to 24 hours*.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each half into an 11x7-inch oval. Sprinkle cornmeal on a large baking sheet. Place pizza crusts on baking sheet; set aside.
- In a very large bowl drizzle summer squash, red sweet pepper, asparagus, and mushrooms with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss to coat.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill vegetables on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly charred, turning once and removing vegetables from the grill as they are done. Cut vegetables into 1- to 2-inch pieces. (If desired, remove skin from sweet pepper.)
- Grill pizza crusts on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes or until bottoms are lightly charred. Transfer crusts to the baking sheet, charred side up. Spread 2 tablespoons hummus over each crust. Top evenly with grilled vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables evenly with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, the pepper, and provolone cheese. Return pizzas to grill rack. Cover and grill about 4 minutes more or until bottoms of crusts are crisp and lightly charred. Transfer pizzas to a cutting board; cut each into three pieces.
From the Test Kitchen
If you chill the dough, let it stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before proceeding with step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Vegetable Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 240 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 7 mg chol.,
- 531 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet