Grilled Turkey Gyros
- For patties, in a large bowl combine egg, turkey, onion, bread crumbs, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper. Shape mixture into 12 patties, flattening each to about 1/2-inch thickness. Brush all sides of the patties with olive oil. Wrap pita bread rounds in foil.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill patties and foil-wrapped pita bread on the greased rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat about 6 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into each patty registers 165 degrees F* and pitas are heated through, turning once halfway through grilling.
- Place three patties on each pita bread round. Top with cucumber slices, tomato, and parsley. Drizzle with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce. Fold pitas around fillings; secure with toothpicks.
From the Test Kitchen
The internal color of a burger is not a reliable doneness indicator. A chicken or turkey patty cooked to 165 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a patty, insert an instant-read thermometer through the side to the center of the patty.
- In a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, tahini, garlic, and salt. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Turkey Gyros)
- Per serving:
- 332 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 95 mg chol.,
- 560 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet