Grilled Steakhouse Filets with Lemon-Grilled Asparagus
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush peppercorns and garlic. Stir in salt, mustard, and paprika; set aside.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Brush meat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle peppercorn mixture evenly and lightly on both sides of steaks.
- Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. Place asparagus in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Seal bag; toss to coat asparagus; set aside.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals on one side of the grill. Place steaks on grill rack over direct heat and grill, covered, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until you have pronounced grill marks. Move steaks to indirect heat and continue to grill, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 135 degrees F. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium heat. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place steaks on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as directed.)
- Transfer steaks to broiler pan. Spread 1 tablespoon butter over each steak. Place steaks under broiler. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 2 minutes. Turn, spread another tablespoon butter over each steak. Broil 2 minutes more or until desired doneness (for medium-rare (145 degrees F) or medium-doneness (160 degrees F)). Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place asparagus on the grill rack directly over heat (across the cooking grates so they will not fall through). Grill 8 to 12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Grill lemons, cut sides down, for 1 to 2 minutes or grilling or until you can see grill marks and the lemons are heated through.
- Serve filets with grilled asparagus and lemon halves. Squeeze the lemon over the asparagus. Serve immediately.