Grilled Shrimp Panzanella
With the addition of grilled shrimp and some fresh vegetables, a classic Italian salad becomes an easy dinner recipe.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Yields: 16 cups
- Prep: 40 mins
- Grill: 14 mins
- Chill: 1 hr to 2 hrs
Grilled Shrimp Panzanella
pound large fresh or frozen shrimp with tails, peeled and deveined
cup olive oil
cup white balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar
tablespoons lemon juice
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
large red and/or yellow sweet peppers, halved and seeded
medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 pound loaf ciabatta bread, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
roma tomatoes, halved
cup coarsely chopped fresh basil (optional)
cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved (optional)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. In a medium bowl combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Thread shrimp onto six 12-inch wooden skewers.* Brush shrimp with about 3 tablespoons of the oil mixture, reserving the remaining mixture.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grease grill rack. Place skewers on the grill rack directly over medium heat. Cover and grill for 4 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. Remove from grill; set aside on a large baking sheet.
- Brush sweet peppers and zucchini with oil mixture. Add to grill. Cover and grill about 8 minutes or until crisp-tender and lightly charred, turning once halfway through grilling. Remove from grill; set aside on a large baking sheet.
- Brush bread slices and tomatoes with some of the reserved oil mixture. Add to grill. Cover and grill about 2 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and tomatoes are softened, turning once halfway through grilling.
- Remove shrimp from skewers and transfer to a very large bowl. Cut sweet peppers, zucchini, and bread into 1-inch pieces; add to bowl. Drizzle with any remaining oil mixture. If desired, add basil, parsley, and olives; toss to combine.
- Serve salad immediately or chill for up to 2 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Shrimp Panzanella)
- 331 kcal cal.;
- 18 g Fat, total;
- 88 mg chol.;
- 3 g sat. fat;
- 29 g carb.;
- 12 g Monosaturated fat;
- 2 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 2 g fiber;
- 6 g sugar;
- 14 g pro.;
- 0 Mark as Free Exchange;
- 347 mg Potassium;
- 761 mg sodium;
- 62 mg vit. C;
- 1409 IU vit. A;
- 0 g Trans fatty acid;
- 2 mg iron;
- 44 µg Folate;
- 1 µg Cobalamin (Vit. B12);
- 71 mg calcium;
- 0 mg Thiamin;
- 0 mg Riboflavin;
- 2 mg Niacin;
- 0 mg Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet