Grilled Romaine Salad with Tomato and Corn Tumble
- Place corn with husks and silks intact in a large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for garlic-chive vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the vinegar, mustard, and garlic chives. Cover and shake well; set aside.
- Brush the romaine with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; set aside. For a charcoal grill, grill corn on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 25 to 30 minutes or until kernels are tender, turning once and rearranging ears occasionally. Grill romaine, cut sides down, directly over medium coals for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly charred and wilted. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place corn on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above; remove corn. Place romaine on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Place a romaine heart half on each of 4 salad plates. Remove corn husks and silks from ears. Cut kernels from cobs. In a medium bowl combine corn kernels and tomatoes. Drizzle with some of the vinaigrette; toss to coat. Drizzle romaine with the remaining vinaigrette. Spoon the corn and tomato mixture over romaine halves. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
For the garlic chives, you can substitute 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives and 1 clove garlic, minced.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Romaine Salad with Tomato and Corn Tumble)
- Per serving:
- 200 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 6 mg chol.,
- 255 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Jennifer Brush 1000 Days Ago
am not a great grill gal, so tend to want to do a lot of stuff together. i brought back from france really lovely and compact baby romanine heads (have never seen these any place else, but they're great!). Moldova's great sweet corn was a great addition and after leaving out loathsome tomatoes, what a great salad. but probably not worth firing up the grill just for a salad. i accompanied also with bhg's grilled meat loaf burgers and curried pork burgers for the grown-ups.
Adaena Tray 1380 Days Ago
I made this dish tonight and it turned out divine! Silly me didn't pay attention and began pulling apart the romaine hearts. The good news was that it grilled all the same. Such a perfect light meal for summer.