Grilled Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles
- Thoroughly scrub cucumbers. Remove stems and blossoms; slice off blossom ends. Cut cucumbers lengthwise into quarters.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place cucumbers and onion slices on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill about 6 minutes or until grill marks appear, turning once halfway through grilling. Cool slightly; separate onion slices into rings. Pack cucumbers, onion rings, and garlic into three sterilized pint canning jars or other jars.
- In a medium stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy saucepan combine vinegar, the water, sugar, pickling salt, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Remove from heat.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumbers and onion, making sure to cover vegetables. Cool for 30 minutes. Seal and label jars. Chill for 1 to 2 days before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles)
- Per serving:
- 28 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 591 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet