Grilled Apple Crisp with Porter-Toffee Sauce
- In a large bowl combine apples, granulated sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, apple pie spice, and salt. Transfer apple mixture to an 8x8x1-3/4-inch disposable foil pan or metal pan.*
- For topping, in a medium bowl combine oats, brown sugar, and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over apple mixture. Cover pan tightly with foil.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium heat over center of grill. Place crisp in pan on grill rack in center of grill. Cover and grill for 15 minutes. Uncover pan. Cover grill and grill about 30 minutes more or until apple mixture is bubbly. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place crisp in pan on grill rack. Grill as directed.)
- Remove crisp from grill; cool slightly. Serve warm with Porter-Toffee Sauce and, if desired, ice cream.
From the Test Kitchen
A metal pan may get some minor burning from the grill.
Porter Toffee Sauce
- In a small saucepan combine brown sugar, whipping cream, beer, and corn syrup. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 12 minutes or until sauce is desired consistency. Store any leftover sauce, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 1-1/3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Apple Crisp with Porter-Toffee Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 566 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 48 mg chol.,
- 180 mg sodium,
- 105 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 82 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet