Greek Sloppy Joe Pitas
pounds lean ground lamb
cup chopped sweet onion (1 large)
cloves garlic, minced
15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
cup dry red wine
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon dried mint, crushed
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
whole wheat or plain pita bread rounds, cut in half
Assorted toppers, such as crumbled feta cheese with tomatoes and basil or plain feta cheese, sliced cucumber, and/or sliced Kalamata olives (optional)
- In a large skillet cook ground lamb, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker combine meat mixture, beans, tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, oregano, mint, salt, thyme, and marjoram.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to spoon meat mixture into pita bread halves. If desired, add desired toppers.
Nutrition Facts(Greek Sloppy Joe Pitas)
- Per serving:
- 307 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 448 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet