Flavor this moist stuffing, or dressing, with pears, pecans, and nutmeg.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 40 mins
pound firm-texture white sandwich bread
tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
large onion, chopped (1 cup)
large firm ripe Bartlett pears, cored, peeled, and chopped
cup butter (no substitutes)
cup pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
tablespoons snipped fresh Italian parsley
teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Dash freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
- Spread bread slices on baking sheets. Place baking sheets in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until bread is dry.
- Place the 2 tablespoons butter, the onion, and pear in a large skillet; cook over medium heat until tender but not brown, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Break the dried bread into small pieces. Place in a very large bowl. Bring 1/2 cup water and the 1/4 cup butter to boiling in a small saucepan. Add to bread crumbs, and toss just until moistened.
- Stir in pear mixture, pecans, parsley, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add the remaining water as needed until mixture reaches desired moistness. Stuff turkey and roast in a 325 degree F oven or transfer stuffing to a 2-quart casserole and bake, covered in a 325 degree F or 350 degree F oven about 40 minutes or until heated through. Makes 12 to 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Pear-Pecan Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 244 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 16 mg chol.,
- 291 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet