- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound firm-texture white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 large firm ripe Bartlett pears, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
2. Spread bread slices on baking sheets. Place baking sheets in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until bread is dry.
3. Place the 2 tablespoons butter, the onion, and pear in a large skillet; cook over medium heat until tender but not brown, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
4. Break the dried bread into small pieces. Place in a very large bowl. Bring 1/2 cup water and the 1/4 cup butter to boiling in a small saucepan. Add to bread crumbs, and toss just until moistened.
5. Stir in pear mixture, pecans, parsley, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add the remaining water as needed until mixture reaches desired moistness. Stuff turkey and roast in a 325 degree F oven or transfer stuffing to a 2-quart casserole and bake, covered in a 325 degree F or 350 degree F oven about 40 minutes or until heated through. Makes 12 to 14 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 244,
- Fat, total (g) 15,
- chol. (mg) 16,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 26,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 4,
- sodium (mg) 291,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet