Orzo Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
Nonstick cooking spray
2 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes
teaspoon ground black pepper
ounces button or cremini mushrooms, halved (3 cups)
large onion, cut into thin wedges
tablespoon olive oil
14 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
ounces whole wheat orzo (1-1/3 cups)
cloves garlic, minced
cup chopped walnuts, toasted
cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Place squash pieces in pan. Sprinkle with black pepper. Cover; bake 10 minutes. Uncover; add mushrooms, onion, rosemary, and oil; toss. Roast, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring once or twice.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; keep broth simmering. Coat a skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add orzo and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until orzo is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 1/2 cup hot broth to orzo mixture. Return to heat. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding broth to orzo mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and cooking until liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook and stir until orzo is tender and creamy (about 15 minutes).
- Add roasted vegetables and walnuts to orzo mixture; stir gently to combine. Sprinkle each serving with feta cheese. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Orzo Risotto with Roasted Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 385 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 471 mg sodium,
- 64 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet