Cheese and Basil Polenta
cups shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
cup yellow cornmeal
cup cold water
Tomato-Basil Sauce (see below)
Fresh basil (optional)
- In a medium bowl stir together fontina cheese, Parmesan cheese, and basil. Set aside.
- For polenta, in a medium saucepan bring 2-3/4 cups water to boiling. Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together cornmeal, the 1 cup cold water, and salt. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to very low. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally .
- Pour one-third of the hot mixture to a greased 2-quart square baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with the hot mixture. Cool for 1 hour. Cover with foil and chill several hours or overnight until firm.
- Bake polenta, uncovered, in a 350 degrees F oven about 40 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Tomato-Basil Sauce. If desired, garnish with additional basil.
- Makes 6 main-dish servings
cup chopped onion
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons butter or margarine
14 1/2 ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes, undrained and cut up
6 ounce can tomato paste, (1/3 cup)
teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic, hot butter or margarine until onion is tender. Carefully stir in tomatoes, undrained and cut up, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or to desired consistency. Stir in basil. Cook 5 minutes more. Makes about 3-1/3 cups sauce.
Nutrition Facts(Cheese and Basil Polenta)
- Per serving:
- 310 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 47 mg chol.,
- 969 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet