Gluten Free Lemon-Strawberry Cornmeal Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine egg and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Gently stir in strawberries (mixture will not completely come together in a ball).
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface (use brown rice flour). Using floured hands, knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth (dough will be wet and sticky). Divide dough in half. Transfer dough portions to the prepared baking sheet. Pat or lightly roll each portion into a 5-inch circle. Cut each circle into six wedges; separate wedges so they are about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool slightly. If desired, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Lemon-Strawberry Cornmeal Scones)
- Per serving:
- 173 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 14 mg chol.,
- 232 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet