Gingerbread Roulade with Dulce de Leche Cream Filling
- Separate eggs; allow egg yolks and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease and flour paper. Set pan aside. In a small bowl stir together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, allspice, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg yolks and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and light-color. Stir in melted butter and molasses. Fold in flour mixture.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a medium bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining beaten egg whites. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Meanwhile, place a clean kitchen towel on a work surface. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto towel. Remove waxed paper. Starting from a long side, roll towel and cake into a spiral. Cool, seam side down, on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with creme fraiche to within 1 inch of the edges. Spoon dulce de leche in mounds on top of creme fraiche; gently swirl together with a knife or narrow metal spatula. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Roll up cake; trim ends. Cover and chill for 2 to 48 hours.
- To serve, lightly sprinkle cake with additional powdered sugar and, if desired, garnish with lemon slices. Using a serrated knife, cut into slices. Serve with Lemon Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
If dulce de leche is too thick to spread, transfer to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 10 seconds; stir. Repeat just until softened, stirring every 10 seconds.
- In a small saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir some of the hot lemon mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in butter until melted. Stir in half-and-half. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Gingerbread Roulade with Dulce de Leche Cream Filling)
- Per serving:
- 525 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 222 mg chol.,
- 276 mg sodium,
- 66 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 51 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet