Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Gingerbread Cake Roll
- Prepare Almond Pastry Cream; chill as directed. Separate eggs. Allow egg whites and yolks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease paper. Set pan aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Beat in molasses just until combined.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently just until combined. Spread batter evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a clean kitchen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove waxed paper. Roll towel and cake into a spiral, starting from a short side of the cake. Cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile, prepare Maple Glaze.
- Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with Almond Pastry Cream to within 1 inch of the edges. Roll up cake; trim ends. Drizzle with Maple Glaze and sprinkle with almonds. Cover and chill for up to 6 hours.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and maple syrup. Stir in enough milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a glaze of drizzling consistency.
Almond Pastry Cream
- In a heavy medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Gradually stir half of the mixture into the egg yolks. Return yolk mixture to the pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain into a bowl. Stir in almond extract. Place bowl with the pastry cream in a larger bowl of ice water; let stand 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill for 4 hours or until cold; do not stir.
Nutrition Facts (Gingerbread Cake Roll)
- Per serving:
- 340 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 166 mg chol.,
- 280 mg sodium,
- 56 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 47 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet