Ginger Pound Cake
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
cups granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (2.7-ounce jar)
tablespoons grated fresh ginger
recipe Citrus Topping (optional)
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch tube pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In an extra-large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating on medium speed until combined. Add vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low to medium speed for 1 minute after each addition and scraping side of bowl frequently.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Gently stir in crystallized ginger and fresh ginger.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack.
- If desired, prepare Citrus Topping. Arrange fruit on top of cake; drizzle with syrup.
blood oranges or oranges
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture forms a thick syrup, stirring occasionally. Stir more often as syrup begins to thicken (you should have about 1 cup). Meanwhile, thinly slice oranges and kumquats; discard ends and any seeds. Add fruit to syrup, stirring to coat. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or just until fruit is tender, gently turning fruit in syrup several times. Using a slotted spoon, gently remove fruit from syrup. Continue to boil syrup, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes more or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Cool about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts(Ginger Pound Cake)
- Per serving:
- 372 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 98 mg chol.,
- 187 mg sodium,
- 58 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet