Gianduja Cream Puffs
cups whipping cream
cup purchased chocolate-hazelnut spread or Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Immediately add flour all at once; stir vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.
- Pipe or drop 12 mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet.* Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and firm. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- For filling, in a large mixing bowl beat whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Beat in chocolate-hazelnut spread on low speed just until combined.
- Before serving, cut tops from cream puffs; remove soft dough from inside. Pipe or spoon filling into cream puffs.* Replace tops. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
If you choose to pipe the dough and the filling, use a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip.
cup hazelnuts (filberts)
ounces milk chocolate
tablespoons powdered sugar
tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
tablespoon vegetable oil
- To toast and skin hazelnuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake about 5 minutes or until light brown, stirring once to toast evenly. Remove from oven. Place hazelnuts in a clean kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove skins. Set aside.
- Finely chop milk chocolate and place in a medium bowl; set aside. In a small heavy saucepan combine milk, powdered sugar, honey, and salt. Bring just to boiling. Pour hot milk mixture over chopped chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor combine toasted hazelnuts and cocoa powder. Cover and process until nuts start to form a paste. Add oil; cover and process until a paste forms. Add chocolate mixture; cover and process until mixture is nearly smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts(Gianduja Cream Puffs)
- Per serving:
- 333 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 123 mg chol.,
- 159 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet