Gatto di Patate (Italian Potato Cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender. Set aside. Use another 1 tablespoon of the butter to generously coat the bottom and sides of a 2-quart square baking dish. Sprinkle bottom and sides with 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs; set aside.
- Using a potato masher or ricer, mash the hot potatoes in the saucepan until smooth. Stir in eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in onion mixture, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and salami.
- Spread half of the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with provolone cheese. Top with the remaining potato mixture, spreading evenly to cover the cheese. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter; toss with the remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Sprinkle over potato mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until potato mixture is heated through and bread crumbs are golden brown. Cut into squares. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
This is a traditional dish of Naples and is hearty enough for a casual supper main dish. Or, serve it as a hearty side dish.
Nutrition Facts (Gatto di Patate (Italian Potato Cake))
- Per serving:
- 366 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 91 mg chol. ,
- 1184 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.