- Makes: 56 servings
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons each
- Yields: 7 half-pint containers
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 10 mins
Garden Salsa Jam
cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
cup nopalitos* (canned marinated tender cactus), rinsed, drained, and chopped
cup chopped onion
cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
cup tomato sauce
cup chopped pickled jalapeno chile peppers
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
tablespoons fresh lime juice
teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
1 3/4 ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin
- In a very large bowl stir together tomatoes, nopalitos, onion, cilantro, tomato sauce, jalapenos, lime peel, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, sugar, and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small saucepan stir together the water and pectin. Bring to a full roiling boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over vegetables. Stir for 5 minutes.
- Spoon jam into half-pint freezer containers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before serving. Serve with crackers and cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
Find marinated cactus in the Mexican food section of grocery or specialty food stores.
Nutrition Facts (Garden Salsa Jam)
- Per serving:
- 66 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 64 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet