- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 3/4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup nopalitos* (canned marinated tender cactus), rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped pickled jalapeno chile peppers
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1 3/4ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin
1. In a very large bowl stir together tomatoes, nopalitos, onion, cilantro, tomato sauce, jalapenos, lime peel, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, sugar, and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In a small saucepan stir together the water and pectin. Bring to a full roiling boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over vegetables. Stir for 5 minutes.
3. Spoon jam into half-pint freezer containers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before serving. Serve with crackers and cheese.
- Find marinated cactus in the Mexican food section of grocery or specialty food stores.
- Servings Per Recipe 56,
- cal. (kcal) 66,
- carb. (g) 17,
- sugar (g) 17,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 64,
- Potassium (mg) 28,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet